Cinnamon Buns With Coffee Icing
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
These warm, fresh cinnamon buns take a little time as they need yeast to rise but as you sink your teeth into that soft, spicy interior we think you'll agree that they were worth the effort!
Ingredients (yield 12)
- Three quarters of a cup (185 ml) Organic Larder Milk
- One quarter of a cup (65 ml) Organic Larder Butter, softened
- Three and a quarter cups (815 ml) Organic Larder Cake Flour
- 1 x 10g packet instant yeast
- One quarter of a cup (65 ml) Organic Larder White Sugar
- Half a teaspoon (2 ml) Organic Larder salt
- One quarter of a cup of water
- 1 Organic Larder Egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) Organic Larder Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground Organic Larder cinnamon
- Half a cup (125 ml) Organic Larder Butter (extra), softened
For the icing
- 1 cup (250 ml) Icing Sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) strongly brewed Organic Larder Coffee
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, and then remove from heat. Mix in the butter and stir until melted. Let cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 and a quarter cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add water, egg and the milk mixture; beat well. Add the remaining flour, half a cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and softened butter.
- Roll out dough into a 30 cm x 20 cm rectangle. Spread dough with butter/sugar mixture. Roll up dough and pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place cut side up in 12 lightly greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 190ºC for 20 minutes, or until browned. Remove from muffin cups to cool slightly. To make the icing stir in enough coffee to form a smooth icing that is not too runny. Serve warm drizzled with coffee icing.